Monday, April 15, 2013

Barbecue Turkey Meatballs
















I've been trying to make healthy substitutions lately, and ground turkey instead of beef is one of them.  Pretty much anything that I would have made with beef, I now use turkey.  It honestly tastes just as good to me, and my family likes it just as well too.  I ran across this recipe in a Cooking Light magazine and loved that it was so simple.  My kind of recipe!  It has smoked paprika in it, which is a spice I did not have in my pantry.  In the past, whenever something called for smoked paprika, I would just substitute regular paprika for it.  This time, I decided to buy some to see what all the fuss is all about.  So glad I did!  That stuff is amazing!  The night after I used it in this recipe, I sprinkled it on some grilled corn on the cobb.  OhMy!  MmmMmm!  But, I digress...Mashed potatoes go great with these meatballs because of all the sauce.  Not the healthiest choice (especially since mine are laden with butter and sour cream), but so dang good.  Everything in moderation, right?

What You'll Need:
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 (14.5 oz) can Rotel
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
3 Tbs Italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1 Tbs chili powder
Cooking spray

What You'll Do:
Place first 6 ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Combine turkey, breadcrumbs and chili powder in a large bowl.  Using wet hands, shape into 16 meatballs.
Heat a large skillet over med-hi heat.  Lightly coat pan with cooking spray.  Add meatballs and cook 2 minutes, browning on all sides.
Add tomato mixture to pan and bring to a simmer.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes or until meatballs are done.

No comments: