Thursday, October 25, 2007

Chocolate-Hazelnut Smooches
















I saw Giada make these on "Everyday Italian" and I just had to try them! I wanted something Halloween-ish to take to a get together, and these cookies reminded me of little witches hats. They were perfect! I am a Nutella freak...I adore that stuff! However, these cookies didn't really end up tasting like Nutella to me. It just made them chocolatey. This recipe makes 36-40 cookies (I ended up with 34).


What You'll Need:
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup orange sugar
1 (9-ounce) package of Hershey's kisses, unwrapped


What You'll Do:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In another medium bowl, place the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter, and both sugars. Using a hand mixer, cream the ingredients together, about 3 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla and blend until incorporated.
Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls.
Roll the balls in the orange sugar, pressing to adhere.
Place the cookies on a heavy cookie sheet about 4 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven. Quickly place a chocolate kiss in the middle of each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.

2 comments:

Claudia (The Blog I Never Wanted) said...

These look great! Just like witch hats, thanks for sharing.

Deborah said...

Cute! I love the orange sprinkles, and Nutella is always a good idea. :)